The International Manufacturing Technology Show (IMTS) occurs in Chicago every two years. It is normally one of the biggest events worldwide in all of manufacturing but, after a 4-year gap due to COVID concerns in 2020, this year was even bigger. IMTS 2022 didn’t just represent a symbolic return to “normal” for our industry or a chance to reconnect with friends and colleagues. Rather, it was a celebration of all we’ve missed in the last couple years AND everything new we get to look forward to in the years to come. FlexTrades was there last week, and we had so many amazing experiences, interactions, and takeaways that we can’t possibly share them all. However, we do have some highlights we want to make sure you didn’t miss.
By the numbers
IMTS, even for veteran attendees, is overwhelming. It takes up all McCormick Place, the largest convention center in North America, and an entire week of the calendar. The raw size and scale of the venue and exhibits creates a sense of shock and awe for first time attendees. Meanwhile, the sheer number of people creates not just a crowd but an energy that can be felt physically. A great way to start wrapping your mind around IMTS is to begin with the numbers.
- 2.6 million – Square feet of exhibit space utilized by vendors and conferences
- 1.3 million – Square feet taken up by display booths alone
- 86,307 – Total individuals who attended at least one day this year
- 33 – Number of times IMTS has been held in Chicago
- 2,000+ – Total exhibitors displaying products and solutions
- 117 – Number of countries with exhibitors or visitors in attendance
- 57 million – Total weight (in pounds) of equipment and material on display
- 9 – Number of pavilions featuring displays (each a trade show unto itself) for different specialties
- 12 – Total conferences occurring during the week
- 9 – Specialty attractions, including a demo of a JET SUIT!
- Countless – Number of demonstrations, conversations, and ideas that occurred
By the images
Words can say a lot about IMTS, but pictures and videos say even more. Here are links to some from the Association of Manufacturing Technology (AMT), the host of IMTS, and FlexTrades.
T-minus two years
The star of IMTS 2022 was all of us, our excitement to reconnect, and our hunger to tell the stories of our industry like never before. The increase in media and content creators in attendance was noticeable this year. We expect that number to grow even more by the time IMTS 2024 arrives. But we don’t want you to wait years to see and learn more! If you found this content interesting and informative, we put out new industry content all the time. Follow FlexTrades on your social media platform of choice or check out our blog page to make sure you don’t miss out. And, of course, if you have other ideas for topics you’d like to know more about, or questions for FlexTrades, just send them to our Writing Team and we’ll be happy to cover them in a future article or video.