We are focusing on movement in March! Too many of us do not get enough physical activity in our day-to-day endeavors, so we came up with a list of 10 tips to help you stay moving. Remind yourself that the little actions you take add up to big results.
- Plan a mid-day movement break. 10-30 minutes of time scheduled into your day to go for a walk, do a few chores, or actively stretch. Click for Guided Stretch Video
- Skip the drive through. When you are picking up your morning coffee or lunch, choose to walk into the establishment to purchase your order!
- Set a timer! Work for 30 minutes and then take a 5-minute break to walk around and stand up. Repeat this pattern throughout the day! This will also help increase your productivity.
- Stand during meetings. This is simple yet effective!
- Find the staircase instead of the elevator. Choose to take the stairs or park a bit farther away when you go to the store.
- Set goals. Use your fit bit, apple watch, or phone to keep track of your steps. Have a minimum step count for each day.
- Plan out time for exercise. Actively write down in your calendar when you are going to exercise at the beginning of each week! Signing up for a scheduled class is a great option.
- Walk while you watch or talk. Go for a walk outside or on the treadmill while you watch a show, answer emails, or call a friend/family member!
- Get an accountability partner (Often referred to as an “Accountabilibuddy”)! Find someone to keep you moving, go for walks together or send messages reminding each other to prioritize your movement.
- Move right when you wake up! Hop out of bed and do 5-10 minutes of yoga or stretching. Implement a “do 20 squats” rule when you walk to the fridge for your first glass of water!
Reminder: Every small habit adds up! Movement is medicine. Push yourself to implement at least 2 of these tips!